Saturday, August 23, 2008

MPG gauge: Travel news for speeders watching their fuel consumption

Measuring the success of my investment in driving style has become cumbersome. The process of documenting driving distance and deals is cheap and easy, but it can feel like a chore. By nature, a Happy Speeder seeks thrills and immediate gratification. After all, any rational thought on speeding would be linked with possible consequences, and that might diminish the high of reckless abandon. But now that the travel news is good, and the price of oil has dropped some, I have noticed that my motivation for slowing down is less vigorous. When I calculate my mpg at each fill-up, I am proud to see that I average 24 mpg vs my previous 16-17 mpg(see why my mileage is comparetively low). But that thrill is short lived and it can be grueling to drive at 60 mph when garbage trucks and school buses are passing you. If it weren't for my intentional association of saving at the pump with the thrill of saving money, I might loose all joy with my thrifty pedal deals and revert to guzzling gas. I recognize that most folks have never seen the benefit of easing off the accelerator, and could not be motivated to change their driving habits by a nagging wife, much less a cheap 25 ¢/per gallon savings. Here is were the facts in your face strategy comes in handy. Those who drive a vehicle with a digital display of current fuel per mile consumption already know; that if you see it - you believe it. I have heard that aiming for- say, 20 mpg vs. 9 mpg, is motivating. Like I have said, my 2004 Honda Odyssey lacks this feature, so I use the old pen and paper method(click here to learn more) myself. But for anyone seeking immediate gratification for choosing a greener,wiser way to drive; consider the ScanGauge II 3-in-1 Compact Multifunction Vehicle Computer with Customizable Display available at Amazon.com. click here to learn more about this and other products: Happy Speeder store at Amazon: For more tips, opinions and reasons to be happy about slowing down a little to save a lot: Visit Happy Speeder. all rights reserved

No comments: