Sunday, July 27, 2008

A traffic ticket costs more than hypermiling saves on gas.

My blinker is on, but my brakes aren't; at least not until the last possible second, and then only enough so that I can make the 90 degree turn with all 4 wheels on the ground. This hypermiling trick is one of my favorites because it is fun, almost like speeding. Within 300 feet of the entrance to my neighborhood, there is a stop sign, so my goal is to maintain the 25 mph speed limit without accelerating. So far, I have been too chicken to take the turn any faster than 20 mph, so I do have to press the gas a little to reach 25. The object is to reserve energy so that you don't have to accelerate as much once you make your turn. Technically, no law is broken; but some may consider it reckless, especially your passenger. I know I did when, oblivious to the price of gas, my newly driving teenager tried a similar trick, leaving me white knuckling the "Oh ---" handle with a glass of ice tea in my lap. But, as long as no one is following too close behind me, I take the turn with one hand on my tea glass, and coast as far as I can before applying the gas. Approaching the stop sign, I carefully survey the area for other vehicles, and finding none, brake just enough to confirm that there is no marked vehicle lurking over the hill, and resume coasting. This is one of the most controversial hypermiling tricks, and understandably so. Besides setting a bad example for observant minors, running a stop sign can be dangerous, and law enforcement officials don't take kindly to those who would disrespect the sign. So hypermilers beware. The traffic cops don't usually park in full view, and you may not always have your best game on, so my advice is: choose your timing - is it worth the risk when you have your son's tennis team in the van? know your environment- hiding police are harder to spot in the dark know your own skills and limitations-don't forget to block your tea glass in case of abrubt braking; and above all... be happy about your freedom to save a little bit of gas; one drop of oil saved is one less drop needed!

Slow down a little and save a lot!

Please drive responsibly and be a happy speeder. all rights reserved

No comments: