Wednesday, May 28, 2008

TAKE THE PEDAL OFF THE METAL!

Free tips for saving gas, safely and sanely. http://happyspeeder.com/

I love speed, I love to speed. When I graduated from college, I bought a Toyota MR2 - and promptly got 3 speeding tickets and dropped from my insurance. The cost of speeding was my motivation for slowing down, I did not like it, but I did not want to PAY for speeding. I had read that as long as you don't go over 10 mph over the speed limit, cops won't stop you, so that is what I did. I am obviously not alone. Reference the interstate with a speed limit of 55. Who goes 55? 55 mph feels dysfunctional. If I enter the interstate on an offramp behind someone who accelerates too slow, I am afraid for my life. It is imperative to match the speed of the cars in the slow lane for a safe merge. Maybe it is self-preservation that fueled my desire for rapid acceleration. Maybe it is competitiveness. It definitely feels like a necessity when I am running late. I drive 26 miles each way to work. This drive on the weekend with interstate travel takes less than 45 minutes. During the week, however, I plan on an hour and a half. The night commute, with rain, can be more than 2 hours. The commute is tolerable for me ONLY because I enjoy listening to books on tape and drinking coffee. The morning commute gives me time to wake up, and by the time I reach my destination, I am eager to stretch my legs and get the day started. Most people do not share my joy. Before I discovered books-on-tape, I HATED to commute. I chose work that did not involve commuting because of the hated commute. My choice resulted in a lower, less dependable income, but I felt I was choosing Quality over Quantity. When my financial situation changed, though, I had to bite the bullet and take a job with a commute. I only work 3 or 4 days a week, but the pain at the pump is enough to inspire me to seek change.

SO, once again, the cost of speeding(or just plain driving) is motivating me to change the way I drive. I have to work, I love my job, I have to commute to my job, I have to drive( no mass transportation options), and I am cheap. I am also observant. I noticed that I save money if I dont drive so fast. I save money when I take the pedal off the metal. I save money when I choose to set the cruise control and let other people pass. I arrive at work on time, often only 5 minutes after the people who were shaking their head at me as they passed me on the interstate. They only sat longer at the red light and/or traffic-jam than me. I empathize with them, though. I have been a head shaker, I have shot the "dirty look". But for now, for economy's sake, and because I have the choice; I SAY:

GO AHEAD AND PASS I'M SAVING GAS!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It may take a while before others understand and accept the facts, which you have stated so clearly. We all would benefit greatly, if we slowed down. Thanks for sharing the good info and your insights into how to drive smarter. Just smile and ignore those dirty looks from those speeding past you! Slowing down means more money for your pocket!