Thursday, September 4, 2008

CNN.com shares 5 ways to avoid a speeding ticket

Top ten ways to avoid a speeding ticket, first five: Cheap and easy, these suggestions might not save you gas, but they are intended to save you the cost of a speeding ticket. To me, the tips are aimed at interstate travelers, but you may see something different. I split the list for two manageable bits of travel commentary. Visit the original article here for the full story.

Drive within 5-10 mph of surrounding traffic I have been told by a reputable source that driving less than 10 mph over the speed limit is generally accepted due to the margin of error implicit in radar speed detection. To date, that theory has proven true for me, I would love to here from someone who has experienced otherwise -though.

Try to stay in the middle of the pack: Personally, I stay OUT of the pack. My mom always warned against travelling in "the pack" and I agree. Just notice how interstate wrecks usually occur: one car drifts over in to the other lane and the car behind him doesn't have time to navigate out of the way; or a sudden brake. Driving at least one car length for every 10 mph is a good rule to drive by.

Find a 'rabbit': In other words, assume a reasonable distance behind a fellow speeder, in hopes that a radar would lock on the line leader first. Much to my chagrin, I am forced to report the fallacy of this tip. I have been in the middle of three happy speeding cars pulled over. The cop asked if we were acquaintances, traveling together. "NO", but I did think there was safety in numbers. Apparently, not to a diligent traffic cop. To this day, if I am driving near a car being directed to pull over, I avoid eye contact with the patrolman so he can't wave me over as well.

Don't change lanes frequently, tailgate,or drive aggressively: Not only do you increase your risk of causing an accident, when you drive like that, you waste gas (see prior blog Save fuel or 7 minutes).

Avoid the fast lane: All I know is you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Avoiding the fast lane means driving on the right where the congestion is greater, and cars are entering and exiting the highway, so you would think being farther from on/off ramps would be safer. Also, when you are in the fast lane, you don't have to watch your left side mirror... but you had better watch in your rear-view mirror for the "AngrySpeeder". Even driving 75mph is often not fast enough, and "AngrySpeeder" will let you know how much you have inconvenienced him when he passes you after honking, flashing his lights and tailgating dangerously close to get your attention. I'll save further thoughts on this topic for another blog, like this one. See: A Civil Car is Cheap.

To summarize, I must state emphatically that though I love the thrill of speed (see blog SPEED), and I support your freedom to choose your speed(see blog CHOOSE), you are responsible for your own car, driving, speeding, and tickets ( see former speedaholic learns to slow down), ...God knows ...I have paid for my fair share.

Happy Speeder does not condone, recommend, or support driving faster than the speed limit. All Rights Reserved.

all rights reserved

No comments: