Thursday, June 5, 2008

Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick.

LIGHTNING MCQUEEN "He Likes Speed!" Quote from Disney's Lightning McQueen: "I create feelings in others that they themselves don't understand". Of course we don't understand. As kids, we are automatically drawn to things that move fast and make loud noises. I remember thinking how smart my baby was that he could crawl while pushing a toy car and make the "brrmm" noise. Where did he learn that? Obviously, I decided, he was gifted. I don't think I ever played with toy cars as a toddler, but I do remember loving "Herbie" (good-old Disney again) and later "Dukes of Hazard". When I was about 8, Santa surprised me with an electric race track (see Dad- it is all your fault), and the sole purpose of this toy was to push the button as hard as you could to make the cars go as fast as possible. If they wrecked? even better! Set them up and see if you can make a bigger wreck! Is it just me, or is there something a little twisted here? It never crossed my mind that I might be contributing to a love of speed when I bought my boys every matchbox car and race trac system available. I bought "Power Ranger" toys, too, but I don't worry about getting a call in the middle of the night because my kid has been hurt battling "Megazord". I am sure that most "kids-play" is a reflection of normal human inclinations; half imitation- half imagination, but, the plethora of movies, cartoons, toys, rides and sports that are dedicated to the joy of speed gives me pause...and.... an excuse, for my own love of speed!

Image borrowed from flikr.com

No comments: