Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fuel efficient cars for happy speeders.

According to the Consumer Federation of America, folks are willing to pay more for greater fuel efficiency. Almost 50% of consumers report that they are looking for at least 30 mpg from their next car. 99% of today's cars get less than 30 mpg. "Hybrids aren't cheap, yet they're flying out showroom doors, and there's a three- to six- month wait for some of them..." says Mark Cooper, the director of research for CFA. In-lieu of hybrids, drivers are trading for compact cars with better mileage. Used car lots are overflowing with gas-guzzling SUV's and trucks that they can't sell, prompting dealers to refuse big vehicles on trade. If Americans are chomping at the bit to spend big bucks on their cars in order to save at the pump, will automakers respond? Why haven't those tiny cars that are all over Europe been marketed in the states? Americans favor bigger, heavier, and flashier cars - or is that just what advertisers have told us we prefer? Anyway, I would think that the manufacturers would be scrambling to cater to American preferences with SUV hybrids, or slightly bigger "smart-cars". I am looking forward to next year's models, and I'm hoping to see a great big, heavy, flashy, hummer-like truck that gets 45 mpg. Of course, that is a fantasy - I am too cheap to buy a new car before I get at least 200,000 miles out of the one I have. But, I would feel really safe if I could look down and smile at the perturbed speeder whipping around me as I cruised along at 60...saving gas.
SLOWING DOWN A LITTLE...SAVES A LOT!TM all rights reserved

No comments: